If you’re planning to buy a walk in tub for a senior at home, be prepared to spare a fair amount of time to do your research before taking the final decision. It won’t be an easy task because there is a huge variety of options available and you need to be very clear about your requirements and budget.
It isn’t enough to say that you’re looking for the best walk in tubs for seniors – who isn’t? You need to keep in mind all the features required to ensure the safety of a senior. These may include anti-skid tiles; grab rails; anti-slip mats; shower stall seats; support rails, etc. But the most important is the walk in tub, because seniors get the opportunity to have a tub-bath in perfect safety.
Walk in tubs come in many shapes and sizes these days. They all offer a large number of safety features, so you need to identify which one works the best for the senior in your home. And find one that offers ease of maintenance. Visit the stores; check out the products; read reviews; and analyze the pricing. Do find out who makes the best walk in tubs.
Do you know how many types of walk in tubs there are these days? Just check out some of the main options:
- Whirlpool: Similar to what you’d find in a spa. The bather is surrounded by tiny bubbles created by water jets. This also has a heater to maintain the temperature.
- Soaker: The most basic type – safety is the key here. These tubs are ADA-compliant, and drain out fast.
- Hydrotherapy and Aerotherapy: Whirlpool tubs can be used for this. The full body can be immersed and the warm bubbles increase humidity that help provide relief from sinus and respiratory problems.
- Bariatric: Specifically designed for larger people, they have the same safety features as other walk in tubs, but have larger seats and wider doors. They can handle 600+ pounds and 30+ inches.
- Wheelchair accessible: They have larger doors that open outwards and facilitate sliding from the wheelchair to the bath chair. Perfect for seniors with mobility issues.
- Combination: These combine the walk in tub with a shower, which is usually hand-held but can be locked into place on a holder.
After you identify the type of walk in tub you need, do enquire about the best walk in tub company, before you freeze on one.
If you’ve already familiarized yourself with the main types of walk in tubs for seniors, choosing one shouldn’t be difficult. And the next step for you would be to identify a specific brand/model and to check out the prices of the best walk in tubs for seniors.
Although it isn’t easy to say who makes the best walk in tubs because there are many players in the market today, the best walk in tubs available based on quality and price include:
- American Standard: Offers a variety of walk in tubs ranging in price from $4, 700 to over $11, 000 based on the tub type. For instance:
- Walk-in Air Baths cost $5, 729 – $10, 416
- Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs cost $5, 326 – $9, 988
- Combo Massage Tubs cost $6, 190 – $11, 186
- Deep Soaking Tubs cost $4, 750 – $8, 383
- Safe Step: One of the leading providers of walk in tubs in the US. They always include the cost of installation, electricals, plumbing and bathroom modifications in their quotes. Their quotes vary based on the demands of the project, but generally start at $10, 000 and go up.
- Universal: A budget brand, they offer doors in varying sizes including extra wide and cost approximately $1, 400 – $2, 400.
- Safety Tub: They specialize in smaller tubs for cramped spaces, and their prices range from $2, 000 – $4, 000.
- Ella: An established brand, they offer inward swinging doors and are priced at $2, 000 – $5, 000.
- Homeward Bath: They have a wide range in different sizes and cost between $1, 600 – $2, 400.
Of course, since there are many providers of walk in tubs, of varying qualities and with innumerable features and add-on facilities, prices can even go up to $15, 000. You must also remember that there are plenty of additional costs involved in the installation of walk in tubs. These include:
- Bathroom modification
- Upgrade of electrical circuits
- Tile flange
- Neck rests
- Hot water heater upgrade
- Ceiling lift may be required
- Shower benches
- Shower chairs
- Surround for shower conversions
- Specialty cleaners
As part of your due diligence, you will probably want to know who is the best walk in tub company. But it’s not that simple. You will need to research different manufacturers, their product range, prices and reputation for quality. You can then take an informed decision.